Tools to help install and manage PHP on your computer.
- HomeBrew – A package manager for OSX.
- Brew PHP Switcher – Brew PHP switcher is a simple shell script to switch your apache and CLI quickly between major versions of PHP
- PHP Brew – A PHP version manager and installer.
- PHP Build – Another PHP version installer.
- PHP OSX – A PHP installer for OSX.
- VirtPHP – virtPHP is a tool for creating and managing multiple isolated PHP environments on a single machine.
Software and tools for creating a sandboxed development environment.
- Ansible – A radically simple orchestration framework.
- Phansible – A web tool for building PHP development virtual machines with Ansible.
- Protobox – Another web tool for building PHP development virtual machines.
- PuPHPet – PuPHPet is a web application that allows you to easily and quickly generate custom Vagrant and Puppet controlled virtual machines
- Puppet – A server automation framework and application.
- Vagrant – Vagrant is an open-source software product for building and maintaining portable virtual software development environments, e.g. for VirtualBox, KVM, Hyper-V, Docker containers, VMware, and AWS. It tries to simplify software configuration management of virtualizations in order to increase development productivity
- Docker – Docker is a set of coupled software-as-a-service and platform-as-a-service products that use operating-system-level virtualization to develop and deliver software in packages called containers.
Alternative PHP virtual machines.
- Hack – A programming language for HHVM that interoperates seamlessly with PHP.
- HHVM – HipHop Virtual Machine is an open-source virtual machine based on just-in-time compilation that serves as an execution engine for the Hack programming language and used to support PHP execution before the release of HHVM version 4.
Text Editors and IDEs
Text Editors and Integrated Development Environments (IDE) with support for PHP.
- Atom – A hackable text editor.
- Atom IDE – An IDE extension for Atom.
- Eclipse for PHP Developers – A PHP IDE based on the Eclipse platform.
- Netbeans – An IDE with support for PHP and HTML5.
- VS Code – An open source code editor.
Web-based applications and tools.
- 3V4L – An online PHP & HHVM shell.
- DBV – A database version control application.
- PHP Queue – An application for managing queueing backends.
- MailCatcher – A web tool for capturing and viewing emails.
- Cachet – The open source status page system.
- phpRedisAdmin – A simple web interface to manage Redis databases.
- phpMyAdmin – phpMyAdmin is a free and open source administration tool for MySQL and MariaDB. As a portable web application written primarily in PHP, it has become one of the most popular MySQL administration tools, especially for web hosting services
- Adminer – Adminer is a tool for managing content in MySQL databases. Adminer is distributed under Apache license in a form of a single PHP file..
- Lychee – An easy to use and great looking photo-management-system.